Monday, June 18, 2012

Welcome to my (fashion) life!

I've finally decided to start cataloging my fashion life.  Perhaps I'm a bit inspired by all those other bloggers out there, and perhaps it's an ego-maniacal way for me to assert my influence on YOU!  I have stuff to say, darn it all!  Anyway, here I am.

I work in a fairly conservative industry, and everyone wears various shades of gray and black.  If I wore black and gray every day, I don't think my spirit could handle it.  So I wear COLOR.  I would say I dress pretty conservatively and if you exchanged my color for black and white, I would probably look fairly similar to most other women in my office.  So, here is my effort to try and bring a little color to the conservative.

Plus, I also miss interacting with my friends about shopping and outfits.  I have just moved to a new city, and have very few coworkers that will say, "love that outfit!"  I sit in my office most days, and to be honest I rarely see anyone, so no one notices my effort.  Maybe someone here will notice my effort.  At the very least, I'm putting it out there on the interwebz and it's something beyond me.  A little bit of fashion accountability, I guess, so I don't start backing down to the world of gray and black.

I'm going to try and catch up from my first week.  I started taking pictures last week, so I'll just pop them here.

I really like this look.  I'm not positive about the necklace, but I hadn't worn it for awhile, and just popped it on.  Citron/yellow and grey is one of my fave color combos.
Sweater (LOFT, recent, sale); necklace (Target, old); skirt (Kohls, really old and stolen from my mother's closet); Shoes (Nine West)

CASUAL FRIDAY!  I have to admit, I have a hard time with Fridays.  I never really know what to wear.  I know I also look really young, so I have to still keep it very professional.  My thought is, if I would wear the same outfit with black or navy pants and I would still look work-appropriate, then it is okay for Jean Fridays.  I've started back tracking on myself, and I find myself making a few more risks on Fridays.  As a side note, right after I took this picture and was running out the door, I spilled coffee right down the front.  I changed to a similar polka-dot shirt.  I liked this one better, but whatever.  This outfit was also inspired by a Go Chic or Go Homer.
Cardigan (H&M, recent); Striped Tee (H&M, recent); Necklace (unknown.  maybe Francesca's collection?); Jeans (Levis); Pumps (Ivanka Trump, I got these for $80, so do some hunting and find a better deal)

Ugh.  I got married in November and since then, I've gained about 10 pounds.  Just enough for my skirts to not fit well at all.  Everything is TOO TIGHT!  I swear, I don't normally wear clothes this tight; I'm just fat.  And it's not enough to buy a whole new wardrobe... just enough to be annoying.  I am on a plan to lose the weight.  It's tough with this new job, though.  I'm just so sedentary all the time. I didn't realize how much I used to move in my old life.  It's also hard because when I get home, I'm just so tired, and all I want to do is sit and watch Toddlers and Tiaras.

Anyways, I love this top.  It's from Forever 21.  Every now and again, I find the best things from that store.  I know that it will probably fall apart in 2 weeks, but whatever.  This shirt has a great zip back detail.  My hair kept getting caught in it, but that can't be helped (plus it defeats the purpose of having a back detail when your hair covers it up).  Well, lesson learned!
Top (Forever21); Skirt (Ann Taylor, old), Necklace (Kate Spade); Belt (J. Crew, old); Pumps (Ivanka Trump, similar)

This next look is also inspired by a Go Chic or Go Homer.  Pretty successful, huh?!  I was going to wear something animal print, but I totes forgot by the time I walked out the door.  I've had this shirt for forever.  It's starting to get a bit ratty. It's my only plain fuchsia top, but I realized after looking in my closet that I have other tops which I could have worn to recreate this "inspired by" look.  They're both patterned, but they would have worked just as well.  I think this project and my new face site obsession Go Chic or Go Home is really going to help me curate my closet.  Maybe... or maybe it will convince me that I need more clothes.  We'll see :)
Top (Loft, old); Skirt (Banana Republic Factory, old); Shoes (Ann Taylor Perfect Pumps); Necklace (H&M, old).


All I can say here is that I love this outfit.  I love orange and love pattern, so YAY!  I had an unexpected lunch meeting, so part of me wishes I hadn't dresses quite so BRIGHT, but it is what it is.  I had an after work cocktail hour with the alumnae chapter of my sorority, so I wanted to look at least somewhat fun.
Shirt (J. Crew Factory, old); Skirt (J. Crew Factory, old); Necklace (Kate Spade); Shoes (Stuart Weitzman); Belt (J. Crew Factory, recent); Bracelets (from all over)

Meh.  This outfit is okay. I like the colors (woo yellow and gray!), but I felt really bulky in it.  I'm fairly broad shouldered and I have very muscular arms, so I really have to watch.  Either way, that old cardigan is probably my favorite piece in my wardrobe. I ordered it online and it is a size too big. I think it was the first thing I ever bought from J. Crew, so I didn't know my size.  Anyway, I refused to return it because I love it SO MUCH. A few years later, Target came out with a version. If anyone ever reproduces this cardigan, I'm buying another.  I love it.  This pose is also extremely awkward. I'm going to need to learn to pose better.
Oxford Shirt (Lands End Kids, $4.99! recent); Cardigan (J. Crew, old); Jeans (Levis); Shoes (J. Crew Mona); Necklace (stolen from my mother); purse (Kate Spade).

PHEW! That was a long post!  See you tomorrow, internetz!


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment