Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Lunches and Dinners

I had a hard time deciding what to wear this AM.  I had to go to both a lunch and a dinner awards thingy (which also meant that I got nothing done today because my flow kept getting interrupted).  Anyway, I had no clue what to wear.  I should have checked, but I didn't know if this was going to be a suits thing or a business casual thing.  I decided that a black jacket and relatively modest colors were in order.  I'm glad I went with the black jacket.  Many people were wearing full suits, including all the men from the group I was with.  The women were somewhat more casual, but I would have looked out of place in just a sweater.  I also realized that it's hard to be stylish when you're trying to be on your best, conservative behavior.

Blazer (LOFT, really old); gray chambray shirt (Kohls?  I have no idea.  It's ancient); skirt (Nordstrom, Halogen Seamed Pencil Skirt); necklace (Talbots); Shoes (Ivanka Trump Gurdia)

I was inspired by this photo of Tiffani Amber Thiessen.  Remember her?  Saved by the Bell hottie of yore.

I think I was fairly successful at channeling this outfit.  She's wearing a tiny polka dot shirt (which I don't own), but I thought it read a fairly light gray.  This shirt is actually white with a gray/black weave to it, so I think it gives it the same feel.  Plus, the toe cap of these shoes are black patent, just like her clutch.

Let me tell you a few things about this outfit.  I'm wearing 3 of my pieces in my closet.  The necklace is from Talbots from ages ago.
I bought it super on sale. I think it was around $15, originally priced at some ridonc high price.  There was an additional percent off that day and I think I had a coupon as well.  I love that it's assymetrical.  I think it makes it more interesting.  I have to say that I hardly ever wear it, but I wish I wore it more.  I wear a lot of color near my face and rarely wear blacks or grays.  I just don't look good in black.  This necklace is tough to wear with anything other than black/gray/cream/white.  All colors I rarely wear.  I'm going to have to put it in a much more regular rotation, though.  Maybe when it starts getting to be closer to Fall/Winter and I'm less prone to wearing jewel tones.

The skirt is called the "Seamed Pencil Skirt" and it's Nordstrom's house brand, Halogen.
I love this color because it's an interesting yellow and reads fairly neutral.  It's not so YELLOW.  Also, I like that it's not a dark mustard either.  The fabric is an awesome ponte material which is essentially spanx in a skirt.  It definitely streamlines your body.  It's also nice and thick, so even after sitting all day, NO WRINKLES.  The side seams are interesting and flattering. Ignore where they appear on me in my photo. I didn't realize it, but my skirt was twisted when I took the photo.  The skirt is also fully lined, which makes clothing last longer since the lining takes all the wear.  This golden raisin color I got about a year ago, but it comes out in great colors.  There's only black right now since Nordstrom is doing their semi annual sale to clear out their inventory.  The price is very reasonable, and at the end of each season, it usually goes on sale for between $25-$35.  They had a beautiful purple-y blue color recently, but I passed on it since I have one from Target in a similar color.  Nordstrom has free shipping both ways, so that's good if you don't have one near you.  I wish they did more colors in petite.  Usually they only do 2-3 of the 6-7 color options in petite.

Last are these shoes from Ivanka Trump ("Gurdia"). I have several Ivanka Trump shoes and they are fabulously comfortable.  The lowest I was able to find the price was from 6pm for $90.

I literally bought this pair 3 times.  I spent ages looking for a pointy cap toe pump.  I wanted the body to be a khaki color, not brown.  Zara had a pair that all the bloggers seemed to have, but it was sold out, and I wasn't particularly fond of the chunky heel.
So, when I saw the Ivanka Trump shoes, I knew they were THE ONE.  They were a bit pricey for what I wanted $120, so I hemmed and hawed over it. After a week of lusting, I decided to pull the trigger, but they were sold out! in every size! everywhere!  I was soooooo bummed.  Nordstrom had one in a 5.5 returned, and I bought them on the off chance they would fit (I'm normally a 6.5, so I didn't have high opes). While they were en route, Zappos restocked, so I bought a pair in my size from them.  After a day or so, amazon also restocked for $40 less ($79.90.  It's back up to $120 now).  FATE, RIGHT?! So then I bought those.  The Nordstrom and the Zappos box went back unopened.  Yes. That's how much I wanted these girls.  I bought them 3 times and was even willing to pay full retail.  It comes in a black, red, white, and gray that I've seen.  There's also a lower-heeled version that comes in other fun colors ("Ivee").  If the taupe came in the higher Gurdia height, I would be all over them!
 I just saw on Zappos that new colors in two of my favorite styles, Pinkish and Amoro, are now available. Now I just need them to go on sale.


No comments:

Post a Comment