Monday, June 25, 2012

Shhhhh

So, don't tell my husband.  I went shopping yesterday.  I started out with high hopes and actually went on a mission to return things.  I had a pile of stuff with tags still on that I decided I didn't need.  Go Chic or Go Home has made me realize just how much I don't need another purple cardigan.  I don't think it's going to stop me from shopping; I'm just going to (hopefully) be a bit more strategic about my shopping.


I returned a skirt to LOFT.  I really liked it, but I already had another hot pink skirt.  I liked the LOFT one better, but obvi don't need 2 of the same skirt.  So, back it went and $30 back to me.

I returned a pair of cropped pants back to Ann Taylor. I was looking to replace a pair that I have that are a bit old, but I hated the way these new ones fit. So, I'm keeping the old ones and sent these ones back.  On my way out, I tried on a white pencil skirt.  I thought I had one, but I think I never got around to finding one I liked in a price point I liked.  White pencil skirts are tough.  I'm usually an 8P at Ann Taylor, and I would have bought the 8P in any other color, but I think white skirts should fit looser.  You never knew.  The skirt is fully lined and in a nice, heavy fabric, so it doesn't show anything.  I'm hoping it doesn't wrinkle horrible.
You can buy it here.  I thought it was 40% off, but the little sign was deceiving and it turns out the orange version and the linen skirt were 40% off and this was not.  I said I was going to hold off, but the sales associate (probably the manager) said she could give me $25 off.  Apparently there was a coupon I didn't know about.  Thanks, sales associate!  All in all, that made it only about $6 more than the 40% off price.  With my return, I spent about $3.


I returned two skirts and a jacket to H&M.  I really liked the jacket, but realized I had something that would do just as well in my closet already.  I really liked the skirt as well, but I tried it in two sizes and it just wasn't working.  The other skirt was just sort of a dumb buy from the kids section and I don't know why I bought it.  So, back to H&M they go.  Instead, I bought this awesome ponte dress for $34.95.  A bit pricey for H&M, but it's really cute. I like that it has sleeves.




I'm going to have to remember to take pictures in the fitting room.  I can wear it as is, but I would prefer it a bit shorter.  My husband's on a trip to our house in Charleston, and I told him to bring my sewing machine up with him.  I am by no means a good sewer, but I can sew a straight line.  I think I should be able to take this up.  Wish me luck!  Even with the purchase, I was still up $40.

Then I went over to TJ Maxx to return a dress.  It was cute, but I bought one I liked better at J. Crew Outlet (even though it was way more expensive).  My TJ Maxx has a Runway (designer) section, and it sort of went alllll downhill for me.  I ended up buying a Kate Spade silk skirt and a Tory Burch tunic.  I was looking at the Tory Burch tunic last week, but they only had an XS.  When I went back yesterday, there was a medium magically on the rack!  I decided the universe was telling me that I needed it.
Emma Pillsbury wore that skirt on a Glee episode.  The tunic was $70 and the skirt was $100, but I convinced them to give me $10 off because there was a slight pull.  HOLY WOAH that's a lot of money for both of those pieces, particularly that tunic.  It's a nice thick cotton with great gold buttons, but wow.  Still $70.

I really want to wear these two together.  I lurv mixing patterns.  With the return, I was down $135 at TJ Maxx.  My justification is that I'm going to return two things to Target -- a dolman sleeved aqua sweater from Target (around $20, sold out online) and:


My theory is that the Kate Spade skirt has the same "feel" as the Target skirt.  Yes, it is more than 4X more expensive, but the quality is much better, the pattern (to me) is cuter and a lot more work wearable.  And I love Kate Spade.  I thought maybe I need a splurge once in awhile?  With this whole strategic buying kick, I'm going to spend less and buy better quality pieces.  I say that now :)

I also bought a camel/orange stripe sweater that's not available online yet for $20.  It's a dead dupe for this J. Crew one from ages ago.  I'm thinking that with my splurges this weekend, I need to send it back too, even though I really like it.

When all is said and done, I spent around $60 spent this weekend, $40 if I return that sweater (which I may).  I'm going to need to start spreadsheeting and budgeting.  Blogging and Go Chic-ing has really been a big eye opener.

It's a little warm to be wearing either the Tory Burch or the H&M dress, but I will definitely wear the skirt this week.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment